We Honor Veterans
America’s veterans have done everything asked of them in their mission to serve our country, and the hospice professionals at Chapters Health System want to serve our military veterans with the dignity they deserve. The “We Honor Veterans” program is a partnership between the Veterans Administration, the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and the hospices of Chapters Health.
The partnership provides hospice staff and volunteers with the education and training necessary to serve veterans through the challenges they may face from illness, isolation or traumatic life experience as a result of serving in the military. We also partner with the local veteran community to improve end-of-life care for our nation’s heroes.
Services Available from Our Veterans Program
The following are some of the services that are available to our veterans:
- Volunteers who are veterans, with similar life experiences are available to visit and assist the veteran in reminiscing and telling life stories.
- Individual ceremonies to honor the veteran and their family.
- Assistance in connecting with the Veteran History Project.
- Education/assistance with veteran benefits.
- Special events to honor veterans.
- Life Legacy Projects allow for individual life stories to be recorded, written or created in a journal for the family’s personal use.
At Chapters Health, we believe that by recognizing their unique needs, we can accompany and guide America’s veterans and their families through their life stories toward a more peaceful ending.
Veteran Volunteers Needed
More than 25 percent of all hospice patients are veterans. At the hospices of Chapters Health, volunteers who are veterans are matched with patients who also have a military history. Our program is designed to offer support to veteran patients from someone who can relate more closely to their experiences. Volunteers receive ongoing training and support specifically related to veterans’ end-of-life-issues.
To become a Chapters Health volunteer, simply complete the online volunteer application and a Chapters Health volunteer coordinator will contact you. For more information, contact Volunteer Services at 863.551.3943 in Polk, Highlands or Hardee counties for Good Shepherd Hospice; or 727.816.3647 in Pasco, Hernando or Citrus counties for HPH Hospice; or 813.871.8237 in Hillsborough County for LifePath Hospice.