Clinical Pastoral Education
More than ever, healthcare providers are requiring Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) experience for their pastoral care staff. To help meet the growing need for CPE and to better educate clergy and chaplains about hospice and end-of-life care, Chapters Health System became an accredited member of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education.
Our CPE program is interfaith professional education for ministry. It brings together theological students, clergy and spiritual leaders of all faiths and lay persons into supervised encounters with people in crisis. These personal experiences, along with feedback from peers and the clinical supervisor, help students develop a new awareness of themselves and the needs of those to whom they minister. From theological reflection on specific human situations, they gain a new understanding of ministry and the utilization of spiritual resources.
CPE is not only for students of divinity working on graduation or denomination requirements. It is also designed to benefit laity, faith group leaders, spiritual care providers who would like to increase their competence in end of life and hospice.
CPE Program Information
The CPE program is an educational program offered under the auspices of Chapters Health System.
Admission Requirements and Fee
- A completed ACPE application Printable Application Form
- An admissions interview
- Member in good standing of a faith group/religious community
- Residents must have successfully completed one unit of CPE in an ACPE accredited center
- $60 non-refundable application fee - Checks payable to Chapters Health System
This is offered as a one-day-per week program that ranges from 12 to 14 weeks (one day a week or two evenings per week). The unit includes at least 400 hours of supervised education and is conducted in accordance with the Standards of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. The cost of each unit is $600.
CPE Residency Information
Application Screening - Applications are reviewed and qualified candidates are invited to participate in an admissions interview. There is currently a waiting list [candidates must have one (1) previous unit of CPE].
- Graduate of accredited college/university is REQUIRED
- Masters in Divinity or related graduate theological degree from an ITS or CHEA accredited seminary or institution preferred
- Ordination/endorsement from an ordaining body recognized by the Endorser's Conference that demonstrates the candidate has standing with the organization preferred
- One unit of Clinical Pastoral Education
- Hospice or healthcare experience preferred
- Must have a valid driver's license, automobile insurance and reliable transportation and meet criteria as a Chapters Health employee regarding driving record
- Must be able to physically access (i.e., navigate stairs and narrow spaces, endure heat and lack of air conditioning) any home, hospital, nursing home, ALF or other patient residencies
- Must have the endurance to manage demands of a hospice care field work position, (i.e., time, travel, home/facility arrangements, stress, et. al.)
- Must be able to communicate clearly in verbal and written English
- Admitted to the Clinical Pastoral Education program by the Clinical Education Supervisor
For more information on the Chapters Health CPE program, please call 813-871-8111.
Chapters Health is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education: Decatur, Georgia www.acpe.edu.